Two locations in Kagoshima Prefecture have been recognized as Remarkable Places by the Japan Travel Awards 2023.
The Japan Travel Awards, whose vision is to create a better society through tourism, selected 28 regions and organizations from among 145 applicants for the Remarkable Places category. The two recognized in Kagoshima Prefecture are:
• Canoeing in a mangrove forest and walking among flora and fauna
(Explore Amami/Amami City)
• Kurashinoyado Fukunoya (an accommodation)
The awards recognize and promote regions and organizations that incorporate the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and diversity and inclusion in their initiatives as Remarkable Destinations.
Applicants were judged based on their answers to a range of questions in four major categories:
1. Uniqueness and convenience of the tourism experience
2. System for welcoming various types of tourists
4. Support for international visitors
In the coming months, the judges will visit each of 28 applicants recognized as outstanding to experience and rate their offerings from the tourists’ viewpoint. The Grand Prix will be announced in January 2023.
Amami mangrove forest